1. True or False?
Tom S. Lubbock, for whom the city is named, was one of the first settlers on the South Plains
2. True or False?
Singer's General Store, Lubbock's first retail business, was located where what is now the Lubbock County Courthouse.
3. Lubbock High School was the cityís first high school. What was the second high school built in the city?
4. True or False?
Monterey High School was named after a town of a similar name in Mexico.
5. City high school football teams began playing at Lowrey Field in the early 1960s. Where did they play prior to that?
a. South Plains fairgrounds
b. Chapman Field
c. Jones Stadium
d. Reese Air Force Base
1. False. Tom S. Lubbock, a Confederate Army officer, was never near the area of the city that carries his name.
2. False. Singerís store was located in the area where the Lubbock Lake Landmark is located.
3. A. Dunbar, which was started in the 1920s for the then-segregated cityís African-American students, was the second high school to open in Lubbock.
4. False. Monterey was named after one of the two towns that merged to form Lubbock.
5. Carolyn Jordan was the first woman elected to the city council in 1974.
Do you know of a little-known or fun fact about Lubbock that we can feature in our centennial quiz? If so, send them to Dave Daniel, A-J news editor, at email@example.com.
Previous Quizes :