The Lubbock Centennial 1909-2009 - presented by The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
The Lubbock Centennial Kick Off Celebration
The pioneer Carlisle Community, located between the western outskirts of Lubbock and the Reese Development Center on West 19th Street, was named for W. Augustus "Uncle Gus" Carlisle (1849-1920), who settled here with his wife, Lizzie (Spikes), in 1890. A cattleman and prominent land owner, Carlisle made significant contributions to the development of the area, including a donation of land for a school. In 1918, he set aside a portion of his property for use as a public cemetery. It was first used for the burial of George W. Wood, a victim of the 1920 influenza epidemic.