The George and Helen Mahon Library, 1306 Ninth St., serves as the main branch of the Lubbock Public Library system.
The Mahon Library was dedicated in 1974 and was built as part of the reconstruction of the downtown Lubbock area following the May 11, 1970, tornado.
It was the first building completed as part of the Lubbock Memorial Civic Center complex.
Prior to the 1940s, Lubbock did not have a public library.
In 1941, a group of citizens led by Mrs. H.F. Godeke appeared before both the City Council and county commissioners to request the establishment of a public library. However, World War II put those efforts on hold. In 1946, the group renewed its efforts, along with a petition of more than 1,700 names, to request a bond election to build a city-operated library.
The bond election was approved in 1947, but a series of delays prevented construction from beginning until 1953. The first public library opened on July 20, 1954, at 2001 19th St., across the street from Lubbock High School and where the Lubbock Senior Center now stands.
The first library card was issued to Mrs. Godeke.