Lubbock's municipal complex, otherwise known as City Hall, 1625 13th St., became the focal point of local government in 1984.
The city purchased the former Sears Roebuck & Co. building and spent $2.2 million toward its initial renovation.
The building houses most of the civic agencies that have the most contact with the general public, including the City Council chambers as well as offices of the mayor, city council members and the city manager and staff. City Hall was formerly located at 10th Street and Texas Avenue, a building which now houses the Lubbock Police Department and the Municipal Court.
That building was first used as City Hall in 1924, although it underwent an extensive renovation in the early 1960's.
Previously, City Hall had been located at what is now Main Street between avenues J and K. Prior to that, city offices were located in the county courthouse.