The Lubbock Centennial 1909-2009 - presented by The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
Untitled Document
Home
The AJ Remembers
City's Most Influential People
From the Pages of the A-J
Lubbock Landmarks
Centennial Quiz
A-J Readers Remember
Centennial News
Special Sections
1909-1933
1934-1958
1959-1983
1984-2008
Photo Galleries
Centennial Blog
Centennial Discussion

This week's Dirk West Cartoon



Special Section Print Version

Centennial Kick Off by Spotted The Lubbock Centennial Kick Off Celebration

 

 


Lubbock's Federal Building and United States Court House
Lubbock's Federal Building and United States Court House, located at the southeast corner of Broadway and Texas Avenue, was dedicated on Aug. 23, 1971, and was renamed the George H. Mahon Federal Building in 1994 to honor Lubbock's longtime U.S. representative.

Until the building opened, Lubbockites had to drive all over town to locate the federal office they were looking for.

Many were housed in the federal building on 19th Street, just east of Avenue Q, a building which now serves as part of the Lubbock Independent School District's central office.

But since 1971, most federal agencies that have offices in Lubbock have been under the same roof. The eight-story building was constructed at a cost of $4.7 million.

Previous Lubbock Landmarks


The A-J Remembers The Most Important People in Lubbock's History
 
 


HOME / THE A-J REMEMBERS / CITY'S MOST INFLUENTIAL / THIS DAY IN HISTORY / HISTORICAL LANDMARKS / DID YOU KNOW / READERS REMEMBER / CENTENNIAL NEWS
SPECIAL SECTIONS: 1909-1933 / 1934-1958 / 1959-1983 / 1984-PRESENT | PRINT VERSION
PHOTO GALLERIES / BLOGS / FORUMS
CONTACT THE WEBMASTER

copyright 2008 THE LUBBOCK AVALANCHE-JOURNAL and LUBBOCKONLINE.COM