First United Methodist Church, located at Broadway and Avenue M, had its beginnings in 1892, 17 years before Lubbock became a city.
The first worship services were held at the county courthouse and the local school building.
A church was built in 1905 but was destroyed by fire in 1917. A second church building was completed in 1918. The current church building opened in 1955.
Read the Historical Marker
Previous Lubbock Landmarks