The Texas Tech Dairy Barn and Silo were constructed in 1926-27 and served as a teaching facility for 40 years. The barn was designed with the help of agriculture dean A.H. Leidigh and professor W.L. Stangel.
Students brought their own cows to campus until 1935. Milk products were first marketed through the Student Dairy Association. After 1927, Tech’s dairy manufactures department furnished milk and ice cream to the Lubbock community and the college’s cafeterias.
The barn was abandoned in 1964 when dairy operations were moved to another location.
In 1990-92, a successful student fundraising effort insured the preservation of the dairy barn as a symbol of Tech’s agricultural heritage.
Previous Lubbock Landmarks