The Lubbock Centennial 1909-2009 - presented by The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
Untitled Document
Home
The AJ Remembers
City's Most Influential People
From the Pages of the A-J
Lubbock Landmarks
Centennial Quiz
A-J Readers Remember
Centennial News
Special Sections
1909-1933
1934-1958
1959-1983
1984-2008
Photo Galleries
Centennial Blog
Centennial Discussion

This week's Dirk West Cartoon



Special Section Print Version

Centennial Kick Off by Spotted The Lubbock Centennial Kick Off Celebration

 

 


The Lubbock County Courthouse Annex

The Lubbock County Courthouse Annex, 800 Broadway, was built in 1932 as the Lubbock Post Office and Federal Building. It served as the center of federal activities in Lubbock until the current federal building was constructed in 1968.

The first and second floors currently house several Lubbock County departments and the third-floor courtroom is currently used for hearings on family law matters. In the mid-1920s, Lubbock Chamber of Commerce manager A.B. Davis spearheaded a longtime effort to have the federal courthouse built. However, a lack of appropriate federal funding and the onset of the Depression delayed construction of the building.

In addition to the Post Office and the United States District Court, the earliest occupants of the building included the Internal Revenue Service, Immigration Service, Army Recruting Office and the Department of Agriculture’s Bureau of Biological Survey. Depression era agencies also later occupied the building.

Site to restore the Old Court House and Post Office

Previous Lubbock Landmarks


The A-J Remembers The Most Important People in Lubbock's History
 
 


HOME / THE A-J REMEMBERS / CITY'S MOST INFLUENTIAL / THIS DAY IN HISTORY / HISTORICAL LANDMARKS / DID YOU KNOW / READERS REMEMBER / CENTENNIAL NEWS
SPECIAL SECTIONS: 1909-1933 / 1934-1958 / 1959-1983 / 1984-PRESENT | PRINT VERSION
PHOTO GALLERIES / BLOGS / FORUMS
CONTACT THE WEBMASTER

copyright 2008 THE LUBBOCK AVALANCHE-JOURNAL and LUBBOCKONLINE.COM