This scene outside the Lubbock County Courthouse on Broadway and Texas Avenue marks one route of the Mackenzie Scout Trail, extending from Camp Supply in Crosby County to Fort Sumner, N.M.
It was used by the U.S. Army from 1872 to 1875, by buffalo hunters from 1876 to 1878 and by West Texas cattlemen from 1878 until the open range of the region was fenced.
A block of granite, designating the site, was erected in 1936 by the Nancy Anderson chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
The granite is from the wall that encloses the grave of Anderson, who lived from 1750 to 1827, near Chester, S.C.
Previous Lubbock Landmarks