Members of First Baptist Church, 2201 Broadway, have been worshipping at the present location since 1951, while J. Ralph Grant was pastor.
The congregation was organized in 1891 and met in the Lubbock County jail until 1901, when a small church building was built at 13th Street and Avenue G.
The church’s first pastor was the Rev. Thomas H. Stamps. The congregation called its first full-time pastor, the Rev. B.F. Dixon, in 1905. During his tenure, the first parsonage was built and a bapistry was added to the building.
First Baptist saw membership grow with the opening of Texas Tech in 1925. Personnel from the Lubbock Army Air Field and South Plains Army Air Field also attended services there during World War II.
Previous Lubbock Landmarks