Mackenzie Park, located northeast of downtown Lubbock in Yellowhouse Canyon, was named for Gen. Ranald S. Mackenzie, who fought Indian battles in the area.
It was established in 1935 as a cooperative effort of the city, county and state. Land for the park was purchased from the Mollie Abernathy family, well below its appraised value.
The park was originally a state park, but operated by the city. However, in 1993, the city took over ownership of the park in a land swap with the state involving the Lubbock Lake Landmark.
Among its features are Meadowbrook Golf Course, Prairie Dog Town and Joyland Amusement Park.
Previous Lubbock Landmarks